Collection of Personal Data
Personal data refers to any data or information about you from which you can be identified. The types of personal data that we may collect from individuals will depend upon the particular transaction and the dealing, but some common examples of personal data include:
- Your name, passport or other identification number, telephone numbers, mailing address, email address and any other information relating to you which you have provided to us;
- Information about your medical history and claims history information;
- Your employment history, education background and income levels;
- Your transaction related information, such as your bank account or credit card information;
- Information about your use of our website and services, including cookies and IP address; and
- Information about your usage and interaction with our website including computer and connection, statistics on page view, and traffic to and from our website.
We will generally collect your personal data from the following sources:
- Information we receive from you or insurance intermediaries on your application form or any supplementary form;
- Information about your transactions with us, our affiliates, or others;
- Information we receive when you access our website; and
- Information we receive from non-affiliated third parties, including consumer reporting agencies.
We will only collect your personal data with your consent or deemed consent, or as otherwise permitted under applicable laws and regulations, and we will attempt to ensure that the personal data is both accurate and kept up to date.
The personal information we collect may be used for the following purposes:
- Processing, evaluating and underwriting your insurance application, any subsequent insurance applications or forms and any alterations, variations, cancellations, surrenders, assignments or renewals of your insurance;
- Administering your insurance policy and providing services, and managing your account including access to and maintenance of any online platform in relation to your insurance policy;
- Conducting credit checks and ensuring ongoing worthiness;
- Conducting medical or health reference checks;
- Investigating, defending, analysing, processing and paying any claims under your insurance policy under which any moneys may be payable to you or other persons entitled under such insurance policy;
- Invoicing and collecting premiums and outstanding amounts from you;
- Performing any functions and activities related to insurance products and/or services, market research, customer surveys and analysis or obtaining legal and professional advice;
- Resolving complaints, internal training and customer service quality assessment;
- Arranging reinsurance;
- Conducting and compiling statistics to study and evaluate behavior, preferences and interests, develop new products, improve our services, identify trends, plan and execute business transactions;
- Exercising any rights TLB may have in connection with the provision to you of products or services from time to time;
- Marketing and promoting products and services to you via corporate events, telephone calls, SMS, fax, mail and electronic mail, where specifically or deemed consented to or where it is permissible under applicable laws or regulations;
- Other ancillary purposes which are directly related to the above purposes; and
- Complying with the requirements under any laws and regulations, codes, guidelines, court order and requests from any local or foreign regulators, governmental bodies or industry recognised bodies (whether within or outside Hong Kong, Singapore or Bermuda) that is assumed by or imposed on TLB or any related company of TLB, including TLB's ultimate parent company, and any companies which are directly or indirectly held or controlled by such ultimate parent company (the "related companies") by reason of its financial, commercial, business or other interests or activities in or related to the jurisdiction of the relevant local or foreign regulators, governmental bodies, or industry recognised bodies.
It is TLB's policy not to keep personal data for longer than is necessary for the fulfillment of the purpose for which that data is or is to be used.
Disclosure of Personal Data
We will ensure that your personal data is protected and kept confidential but, subject to the provisions of any applicable law, we may disclose your personal data for the above purposes to the following classes of transferees:
- Third party agents, contractors, assignees and advisors who provide administrative, communications, computer, payment, risk intelligence services, security or other services which assist us to carry out the above purposes (including medical service providers, emergency assistance service providers, telemarketers, mailing houses, IT service providers and data processors);
- Any service provider that TLB collaborate with to provide its insurance products and services;
- In the event of a claim, loss adjudicators, claims investigators and medical advisors;
- In the event of default, debt collectors and recovery agents;
- Insurance reference bureaus or credit reference bureaus;
- Reinsurers and reinsurance brokers;
- Any financial representative which services your insurance policy (including your insurance broker (if you have one), and its successors or assigns);
- the owner of the policy (if different from the insured);
- TLB's legal and professional advisors;
- TLB's related companies;
- Any actual or proposed assignee, transferee, participant or sub-participant of our rights or business; and
- Government agencies and authorities as required or permitted by applicable laws and regulations.
We may also use and disclose your personal data otherwise with your prior consent to the relevant use or disclosure.
Transfer of Information
In connection with the purposes outlined above, we may transfer your personal data abroad to any of the classes of transferees set out above ("Transferees"). Such Transferees may be situated in Hong Kong, Singapore, Bermuda, the United States of America, the Netherlands and/or the United Kingdom where there may not be in place data protection laws which are substantially similar to, or serve the same purposes as, the data protection laws and regulations in the country where the personal data is collected. We will use safeguards to ensure that appropriate levels of protection necessary to maintain the security of your personal data are in place and that any transferred personal data is processed only in accordance with the applicable laws and regulations in the country where the personal data is collected.
Access to and Correction of Personal Data
You may ask us to provide you with information regarding your personal data held by TLB unless any relevant exception under applicable laws and regulations apply. You may also ask us to correct personal data about you that we collect in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
TLB will comply with data access and correction requests as soon as reasonably practicable within 30 days after receiving the request and in accordance with applicable laws and regulations. If we are unable to comply within that time frame, we will inform you in writing that we are unable to do so, and give you the reasons.
We take the security and protection of personal data very seriously. As such, we will make reasonable security arrangements to protect your personal data against loss or theft as well as unauthorised access and undue disclosure. Examples of such arrangements include restricting access to your personal data and maintaining physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect your personal data.
We maintain and execute retention policies of records containing personal data to ensure personal data is not kept longer than is necessary for the fulfilment of the purpose for which the data is or is to be used. Different retention periods apply to the various kinds of personal data collected and held by us in accordance with our administration policies.
Withdrawal of Consent
Please note that if you withdraw your consent to any or all use or disclosure of your personal data, we may not be in a position to continue to provide our products or services to you, or to administer any contractual relationship in place. Such withdrawal may also result in the termination of any agreement you may have with us. Our legal rights and remedies are expressly reserved in such event.
Bermuda office and Hong Kong branch office:
The Data Protection Officer
Transamerica Life (Bermuda) Ltd.
Canon's Court Building
22 Victoria Street
Hamilton, HM12, Bermuda
Or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Singapore branch office:
The Data Protection Officer
Transamerica Life (Bermuda) Ltd.
Singapore Branch Office
18 Cross Street #15-01
Cross Street Exchange
Or by email to: email@example.com
Links to Other Websites
List of Data Transferees for applications involving a resident of the Republic of Korea
Download list of Data Transferees: English
Last updated: January 2021.